Thursday, February 15, 2018

Just Do The Next Thing


Many days I am overwhelmed.  I always have a list of things I need to do.  Some I really need to do...others are things I want to do or accomplish...some are things that I "self-obligate" myself into.  Often I create mountains that appear impossible to conquer.  But every mountain is climbed one step at a time. 

For years I struggled with the simple task of laundry.  Throwing it into the washer was fast and easy.  Throwing it into the dryer was fast and easy.  Carrying it upstairs...accomplish-able.  But folding it and putting it away? required super hero power I would be telling my friend Niki how I was so behind in housework...and she'd say "oh you have Mt. Foldmore in the living room again?"  As the boys grew older I was needing to teach them to help...and my fairy godmother Pinterest came to my rescue! I found there was fix!  I bought some plastic utility shelving,new laundry baskets....and I started folding the laundry straight from the dryer and putting it into its owners basket!  Now everyone carries up their own laundry and puts it away. And I  can now dry the next load!  I had to learn to "do the next thing"!

I was sharing with another mom the other day that recently I had been keeping myself sane by focusing on what I did get done instead of what I did not...and sometimes I even made a To Done list instead of a To Do list.  She so sweetly reminded me that that is okay.  She said remember Elizabeth Elliot would say "Just do the next thing". I had forgotten that!! Later I "googled"...I needed that advice again!  And so I am sharing with you that poem that Elizabeth Elliot shared with us years ago.


From an old English parsonage down by the sea
There came in the twilight a message to me;
Its quaint Saxon legend, deeply engraven,
Hath, it seems to me, teaching from Heaven.
And on through the doors the quiet words ring
Like a low inspiration: “DO THE NEXT THING.”
Many a questioning, many a fear,
Many a doubt, hath its quieting here.
Moment by moment, let down from Heaven,
Time, opportunity, and guidance are given.
Fear not tomorrows, child of the King,
Trust them with Jesus, do the next thing
Do it immediately, do it with prayer;
Do it reliantly, casting all care;
Do it with reverence, tracing His hand
Who placed it before thee with earnest command.
Stayed on Omnipotence, safe ‘neath His wing,
Leave all results, do the next thing.
Looking for Jesus, ever serener,
Working or suffering, be thy demeanor;
In His dear presence, the rest of His calm,
The light of His countenance be thy psalm,
Strong in His faithfulness, praise and sing.
Then, as He beckons thee, do the next thing.

Dear friend, find some rest today.  And just worry about doing the next thing.  And maybe it is a cup of coffee. Breathe!

No comments:

Post a Comment