Saturday, February 17, 2018

Super Nanny

I had never heard of Super Nanny until a couple of days ago.  I immediately looked her up on YouTube and endured a few episodes.  Wow.

Let me preface this post by saying that I have been on both sides of the parenting field.  I was 33 when I had my first child.  And I knew everything about parenting!  I was very apt in noticing others' parenting mistakes.  Like a super-power! Then I had a child.  And I had that child!  Suddenly all of my "parental sagacity" proved to be inept and ignorant.  First, he was born about 3 weeks early and without the suckle reflex...I had missed that chapter in the What To Expect The First Year  Book. And COLIC! Colic is real. I continued to survive...day by day--and many days hour by hour.  I was nearing the completion of my first year of motherhood when I found that I was going to get to go through year one again!  {Actually I found out on that first birth day that I was nine short months away from another new baby!}

Yes, I have a great husband--and great grand-parental support group...but even though he was not the first grandchild on one side--we were all in this learning experience together.

**back to SuperNanny...***
So far what I have noticed about Super Nanny Jo is that she will try to instruct the parents on how to get their child to listen to them, how to show love to their child, and how to speak authoritatively to their child. Really?? The same day that I found Super Nanny was the Florida High School Massacre.

Maybe Super Nanny is doing society a service.  No matter my opinion of Super Nanny at least she is bringing to light the need for discipline and love.  Even now as my children are at manageable ages...I am concerned with their training and nurturing.  And now that I have gotten through those years--and you know which ones I mean!--I believe I am more sensitive to parents to children of all ages.  Even those scary teen years.  I am just now arriving in those years...but already I am more emphatic of parents treading waters that I haven't crossed yet.

Thankfully God gives grace.
Also thankful that my young men are in a strong church, active youth group and have a very in-touch youth pastor.

Hillary Clinton made the proverb "It takes a village to raise a child" famous---
but she is not the first to pen that.  Actually it is an old African proverb.  Where communities work together and hold the same values.  

~~choose your village wisely




No comments:

Post a Comment