Monday, January 1, 2018

Memaw Susan's Famous Oatmeal Cookies


Okay so it is Saturday night and I have known about the Sunday School cookie exchange party for two weeks...and no, I didn't start worrying about it until today.  I do remember Nate proudly saying, "I told the class that I would be bringing my Memaw's FAMOUS OATMEAL COOKIES!!" Somehow my tired holiday dazed brain filed that comment!  A couple of weeks ago he got the recipe from her....fast forward to today she asked him if he had them ready for tomorrow. {read here: did you talk your mom into making those?}  Of course I explained after we leave this afternoon we are heading straight to Walmart to fight the crazy Walmart crowd to get the ingredients....
Right on cue she says:  "Oh, no let me make them and bring them over later tonight {SCORE!!!} Then since it is a freezing 21 degrees..I assure her that if she would mix up the dough I would take it home and bake it :-) 

I probably can't get my mother-in-law to bake cookies for your child's party but I will share the recipe.  Everyone knows that a memaw's touch is what makes them good!

MEMAW SUSAN'S FAMOUS OATMEAL COOKIES
Ingredient's
  • 3/4 c. shortening soft
  • 1 c. packed brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 c. water
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 c. sifted all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp. soda
  • 3 c. uncooked oats
  • 1 tsp cinnamon


Instructions
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Beat shortening, sugars, egg, water and vanilla together until creamy.
  • Sift together flour, salt and soda. 
  • Add to creamed mixture; blend well.
  • Stir in oats.
  • Drop by teaspoon onto greased cookie sheet.
  • Bake 10-15 minutes.
Yields 5 dozen.


No comments:

Post a Comment