Sunday, December 31, 2017

How I Got to Here


Some stories are difficult to share.  Christmas afternoon my dad was showing us old home videos.  One was twelve years old.  I was enjoying watching my nieces and my oldest child...until the panning camera caught me.  Twelve years ago I weighed  60+ more pounds than I do now.  I joined and failed at Weight Watchers more times than I will admit.  I tried everything...Adkins, variations of Adkins, Cabbage Soup Diet...you name it...I probably have that t-shirt.

I had so many fresh starts:
  • every New Years Eve
  • each new baby on the way
  • each new baby delivered
  • each friend that got engaged
  • every season change
  • every new Weight Watcher plan coupon that arrived in my mailbox
I was a starter but not a finisher.  I had lost hope. I didn't believe in myself.


Then June 2011 my world slowed way down...
I had my first Multiple Sclerosis episode. Suddenly I had to evaluate everything that I believed in.... 
  • God--He was still with me and I had to decide that I could trust Him in this new phase of life.
  • My husband-- we had taken the traditional wedding vows: "for better for worse, in sickness and in health" these vows have stood--thank God
  • Motherhood--I was called to be these young men's mother
and the list goes on

From the beginning of the diagnosis I prayed (and believed) and searched for non-drug help.  I have done traditional MS therapies--and currently I am taking medicine.  I also have had two adipose stem-cell therapies--and I would do them again. 

In 2010 I had a neurologist tell me that I would be in a long term nursing facility in 3-5 years.  I started looking for hope!  I changed neurologist and this one wanted to work with me in finding more natural remedies. Yes, he has walked with me during good times and not as good times. He always encourages me to keep trying.

So in 2013 I landed in the hospital and we found out about The MS Recovery Diet. Sometimes God leads us to answers. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired!
So when I talked to my doctor about the book he said "yes this can help you. But you are an American and we don't mess with Americans food." {I still love him!} Suddenly I had to believe in me--no on else could do it. I totally changed my way of eating and my WHOLE situation changed
  • I started walking
  • my symptoms lessened
  • I was thankful for what I could eat
  • I focused on taking care of myself
  • the weight came off!  I really didn't work at losing weight...I worked at taking care of me so I could care for my family!
I focus an what I CAN eat and NOT what I can not.  Being thankful for what I can eat has been a big factor in my being able to stick with my eating lifestyle.

I am not writing as the diet police...but I want to encourage others to be able to believe in their selves and to make right decisions.
1 Peter 3:15
















No comments:

Post a Comment