Saturday, July 22, 2017

To Co Op or Not?

I share openly with parents that are working out how to school their children my own experiences.  Do I know it all? No, but I think I have been down all the roads: public school, private school, home school, and homeschooling with help. My personal favorite?  Homeschooling with help.

Homeschooling with help--co op has been my most successful choice.   The term "Co op"comes from the word "cooperation".

Cooperation by definition:  an act or instance of working or acting together for a common purpose or benefit;
joint action. 

At my local co op we have parents who take on all kinds of jobs so that other parents can provide opportunities for their children.---But this can not be carried out as an individual.  One parent may coach but other parents may have to take on other jobs: carpooling, snacks, and so forth. My local co op is large enough the we have an academic co op(grades 6-12) and an enrichment co op(preschool-6th grade).  Some parents volunteer to teach a class a class while others divide up the other responsibilities that are vital to the program. 

Belonging to a group not only provides accountability but it also ensures support.  On more than one occasion I have been able to draw from another homeschooling moms experience.

Co ops are usually made by a group of members with similar values. My local homeschooling co op is made up families practicing the christian faith.

 10As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. 
I Peter 4:10 KJV



No comments:

Post a Comment