Thursday, December 14, 2017

Christmas Break


School started and I took off running.  I haven't stopped. Until now and without a break I will crash!  

I am so ready for Christmas...no, all the decor is not out and I don't have any gifts wrapped.  I am ready to stop. To meditate. To take time as the year is closing to reflect and count my blessings.  I know the accomplishments of 2017 are way out numbered by blessings.  Already this 'Christmas Season' I have enjoyed peace and joy.  I am purposely trying to avoid stress that obligatory consumerism brings.  

I remember as a little girl seeing the acronym JOY .
J--Jesus
O--Others
Y--Yourself
And it works!  If we keep Jesus first, then focus on others...by the time we get to ourselves we find JOY.

Christmastime seems to draw most people back to childhood memories...whether good or sad.  This year I have made an effort to connect with old friends who probably feel forgotten.  It is the first time in several years that I have sent cards.  I have been making the excuse that I  added up the costs and just let the kids buy a mission gift through World Vision.  They love "giving" ducks or chickens or a goat...and we can still do that. {Writing a check is easier that addressing evelopes!!} But this year I decided to go ahead and send the card (140!) and let friends know they were remembered.  Some will be surprised.

At the beginning of the month our church hosted the Milikin family with Rachel McCutcheon for a Christmas Concert...Eli has been singing about having an Arkansas Christmas ever since!! 

So far Christmas 2017 has focused on events and visits with friends...maybe we are making new traditions...I hope so!


No comments:

Post a Comment